The Healthy Relationship Program at Teen Health Connection is a 1-on-1 health education program that provides counseling sessions for adolescents. The program encompasses aspects of adolescent sexual health, healthy dating, pregnancy prevention and prevention of teen dating violence. Teens will work to refine decision-making skills, set goals for the future and strengthen refusal skills.
As an adolescent develops and matures, they are faced with pressures that challenge their decision-making skills. During this time, it is critical to educate and empower teens to make informed decisions about their bodies and relationships.
Did You Know?
- The United States has the hightest teen pregnancy rate among the world's developed nations.
- 45.9% of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools high school students reported they have had sexual intercourse in their life.
- 16.1% of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools high school students reported they have had sexual intercourse with 4 or more people during their life.
- More than three million teen girls have a sexually transmitted infection. (That is at least one in four.)
- Every year, roughly nine million sexually transmitted infections occur among teens and young adults in the United States.
Trained Health Educator
Ashley Michelides, MPH
Ashley Mitchelides is a Clinical Health Educator at Teen Health Connection. She has worked in health education since 2009, most recently developing and implementing a pregnancy prevention program for adolescent females. Her primary interests are reproductive and contraceptive health, sexual development of adolescents and wellness - promoting lifestyle modifications. Passionate about education, Ashley uses concepts from a theoretical framework to empower teens to make healthy decisions about their bodies, their attitudes and their relationships.