August is Back to School Safety Month
August is back to school month and there are plenty of things to do to prepare for a healthy and successful 2015/2016 year. Did you know that almost 70% of high school students are not going the recommended hours of sleep on school nights? The following sleep health tips are recommended by the National Sleep Foundation
- Go to bed at the same time each night and rise and the same time each morning;
- Make sure your bedroom is a quiet, dark and relacing environment, which is neither too hot or too cold;
- Make sure your bed is comfortanle and use it only for sleeping and not other activities such as reading, watching TV or listening to music;
- Remove all TVs, computers and other gadgets from the bedroom and
- Avoid large meals a few hours before bedtime.
Encourage students to follow these tips so that they are well rested and ready to start the school year off right. It is important to know that the overall health of adolescents are strongly linked to their academic achievement.